Sunday, February 17, 2008

Weekend Wrap Up

I checked out The Comebacks this weekend, and was pretty disappointed. I knew going in that it wasn't going to be Citizen Kane, but it honestly was pretty awful. I am a huge sports movie fan, so I at least figured picking out the spoofs would be entertaining, but all and all this movie sucked ass.



Kimbo Slice is the a certified bad mofo. Not that I didn't know that before his 2nd fight in EliteXC against Tank Abbott on Saturday night. I did think someone with the chin of Abbott would be able to hold up against the strength of Kimbo Slice. I was wrong. Slice destroyed Abbott in :43 seconds in front of a completely pro-Kimbo crowd, and increased his MMA market value ten fold. The question I think alot of MMA fans are asking is, when will Kimbo make it to the UFC? Also with 2 raw potential superstars in Kimbo and Brock Lesnar, MMA should learn from boxings convoluted sanctioning bodies and unify under 1 title. Imagine the money that could be made and the interest that would be generated with a Brock Lesnar Vs. Kimbo Slice fight in a HUGE venue.



I checked out NBA All Star Saturday on DVR. Which is totally the best way to watch these events. I was pretty psyched to see Boobie Gibson put on a good show in the Rookie Challenge, and the 3point shoot out. The obstacle Course and shooting stars contests are garbage, but this years dunk contest was actually bad ass. The dunk contest has been pretty lame for a few years, but this year Dwight Howard and Gerald Green were awesome. Green's birthday cake dunk where he blew out a candle on a cupcake balanced on the rim while dunking was one of the most creative dunks I have ever seen. Dwight Howard matched Green's creativity, but his dunks were honestly things I have never seen before. His Superman dunk, and the toss off the back of the back Board was insane. With all of this said I am still not planning on watching the all star game itself.

2 comments:

WFNYCraig said...

How bad is EliteXC MMA? Kimbo was an amazing moment, but the rest of those cards STUNK on ice. Oof. Especially the match that preceded Tank and Kimbo. That match was horrible.

Deezo said...

I actually liked the card. I think Elite is a little rawer so the guys will take more risks. The Antonio Silva/Ricco Rodriguez fight was definitley god awful, but there were some pretty good matches.

The Brett Rogers/James Thompson fight was pretty good, and ended with a pretty huge knockout. I was also pretty shocked with the Yves Edwards fight. His flying knee knockout was insane. All and all the production value and quality of the fighters isn't nearly as good as UFC, but the fights themselves are pretty entertaining.